In its first development in Everett, TND will implement a vision for seniors to be able to age in community in safe, quality homes with easy access to health care and wellness services. At the former St. Therese Parish, TND will create a community asset featuring affordable rental homes for seniors, homeownership opportunities, public green space, and a new health center to serve residents and neighbors alike. The development will include a new building on Broadway with 77 affordable rental homes for seniors aged 62 and older, with a new health center on the ground floor to serve building residents and members of the broader community. The health center will be operated by East Boston Neighborhood Health Center, through its Neighborhood PACE program, which provides comprehensive care and support for seniors, including preventive care, specialist visits, prescription drug coverage, and health and wellness programs. Neighborhood PACE is the ideal solution for those who want an alternative to nursing home care for the right combination of medical, social, recreation, rehabilitation, home care, and other services. Of the 77 homes at St. Therese, more than one third will be restricted for households earning up to 30% AMI.
Building amenities will include a community room, fitness room, on-site management office, laundry and parking. TND also plans to redevelop a pocket park on the site, to enhance its accessibility and functionality for residents of St. Therese and the public. The park project will also incorporate architectural elements from the church building and an interpretive exhibit to honor the rich history of St. Therese Parish in Everett.
The redevelopment will also include six new construction three-bedroom townhouse condominiums, which will be for sale at below-market prices – three homes restricted for households earning up to 80% AMI, and three for households earning up to 120% AMI. These homes will help fill a gap in the housing market in Everett, where there is a very limited supply of three-bedroom homes for sale, and where housing prices continue to rise.
- St. Therese – Healthy Homes for Seniors
- Expected Completion Date: 2021
- Development Type: New construction
- Number of homes: 77 rental apartments (70 one-bedroom, 7 two-bedroom)
- Commercial space: ~6800 square foot ground floor health center
- Affordability: senior apartments 30 for < 30% AMI; 47 units < 60% AMI
- Development Consultant: Ralph Cole, Peter Munkenbeck
- Architect: The Architectural Team, Inc.
- Supportive Service Partner: East Boston Neighborhood Health Center – Neighborhood PACE
- Acquisition Financing: The Life Initiative